There are several good reasons to request a copy of your Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) records. If you’re leaving one agency for another, separating from military or government service, issued a statement of reasons, or simply curious about what information may be included or what your clearance status is, you can easily request a copy of your JPAS records.

What is JPAS? JPAS is the Department of Defense’s ‘system of record’ for recording security clearance eligibility. JPAS is used to store the vast majority of security clearance records. If you obtained a security clearance through the intelligence community, your information is stored on a separate system, Scattered Castles.

Adjudicative records for the DSS investigative Records Repository (IRR), Defense Central Index of Investigations (DCII), Secure Web Fingerprint Transmission (SWFT), or JPAS are all available through a Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act request to the Defense Manpower and Data Center Office of Privacy. Simply mail a request to:

Defense Manpower Data Center
ATTN: Privacy Act Office
Department 548
1600 Spearhead Avenue
Fort Knox, Kentucky 40122-5504

Your request should include your full legal name, the specific documents you’re requesting (JPAS records, fingerprints, etc), and be signed. Also include the address where you’d like the documents sent, along with your contact information.

Response times can be surprisingly quick, but allow two-four weeks for processing. If you need the documents quickly for any reason (particularly in order to respond to a statement of reasons), be sure to indicate that in your request.

Check out this article for more information on putting together a successful FOIA request, and this article for information about accessing your military or federal government personnel files.

Related News

Lindy Kyzer is the editor of She loves the NISPPAC, social media, and the U.S. military. Have a conference, tip, or story idea to share? Email Interested in writing for Learn more here.