If you are currently in the market for a new job and you live in the vicinity of the D.C. Metro area, then you are in luck. Right now, in Crystal City, VA, Amazon is ramping up it’s plans for Amazon HQ2. With the new HQ coming to Crystal City, the community has changed its name to encompass more than just one area. Crystal City is now considered National Landing, which is comprised of Crystal City, Pentagon City and Potomac Yard. The area has been revamped with the news of Amazon coming to town, with new parking lots and high rise apartment buildings cropping up all over town. Directly across the street from the new HQ2 building is a Whole Foods Market (not coincidentally owned by Amazon), along with a very walkable neighborhood bustling with restaurants, shops and parks. I would be remiss if I didn’t give a shout out to my absolute #1 favorite burger joint, Good Stuff Eatery, which is a short walk from the HQ2 building (don’t pass up the toasted marshmallow shake!)
Now that I’ve sold you on the location, let’s talk about the jobs. Amazon plans on adding 25,000 jobs by the year 2030 – that’s only 10 years and just in the first phase. On Tuesday September 17th, Amazon held its Amazon Career Day as a way to introduce the company’s culture to the workforce in the area. While it wasn’t meant as a means to hire anyone on the spot, Amazon still plans to hire up to 400 new employees before the year’s end. With their temporary HQ set up at 2345 Crystal City Dr, there is a need for several jobs to get filled right now. With roughly 100+ jobs currently open, here is a list of just a few jobs that Amazon is looking to hire to help get the HQ2 up and running.
Senior Cloud Infrastructure Architect
Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success? Are you familiar with security best practices for applications, servers, and networks? Do you want to be part of the business development team helping to establish Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology platform? Amazon Web Services is looking for highly talented and technical consultants to help accelerate our growing Professional Services business.
This position will partner with Solutions Architecture leaders and with with a large team supporting the Americas Commercial organization at AWS. In this role, you will roll-up your sleeves, work directly with the models/data, collaborate across functional teams, as well as think long term and see around corners. You are passionate about the impact you deliver, detail-oriented, analytical, and have excellent problem-solving abilities. You have superb communication skills, outstanding analytic insight, and you are a strong advocate for your customers. You drive towards simple, scalable solutions to difficult problems, have excellent project-management skills, and you communicate complex analytical results, both written and verbally, in a clear and easy-to-understand way.
- Minimum of three years of experience providing senior executive level support.
- Minimum of two years of program/project management experience.
- Demonstrated project ownership and consistent delivery on commitments – great organizational skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail.
- Strong professionalism and grace under pressure.
- Advanced knowledge/experience with Microsoft Products (Excel, Outlook and SharePoint) or related advanced tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders.
- Desire to work with others and take on ambiguous tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- High level of integrity and discretion to handle confidential information.
Senior Software Development Engineer
Seeking a technical visionary as a Senior SW Engineer who will help create our Road Map, determine our technical direction, and lead experimentation to see what works.
Leading a small team working in rapid prototyping and ideation, you will drive discovery, build and implement small experiments. Working with groups such as NLU, Machine Learning and Animation systems, your design will eventually move the project to scalable E2E architecture.
- 6 or more years of experience in software development
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/related field or equivalent work experience
- Experience with object oriented programming – Java, C++, C#, or C
The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Security team is looking for a Security Engineer with a strong passion for end point security and analytics.
You will develop a broad and deep understanding of the overall AWS security posture, work closely with AWS Threat Intelligence and Security Analytics team to S Security partner teams and AWS service teams to identify security threats, and use your security insight to drive improvements to the AWS security posture through hands-on data analysis and automation of analytics. You will work with an immense amount of data and push the envelope with various advanced analytical techniques to find and mitigate security threats.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field of math, science or engineering
- At least 3 years’ working endpoint security and endpoint security agents
- At least 3 years’ experience handling or supporting security investigations, penetration testing, and/or incident response across various operating systems and applications.
- At least 3 years’ experience in at least one high-level programming language such as Golang, C, Python, Ruby, or Java
Senior Enterprise Customer Advisors are the face of our business, owning the full sales life cycle of commercial businesses with annual revenues $250M+. This is a unique sales role, requiring enterprise sales experience with high level decision makers, but with a strong focus on high-velocity prospecting and developing white space opportunities across 200+ accounts. Candidates will be experienced in managing customer engagements in both virtual and face-to-face environments. The ideal candidate will have B2B sales experience engaging with multiple personas from end buyers to C-suite executives and they understand how to identify, develop, negotiate and close large, complex deals. Candidate should be a self-starter with a proven track record of exceeding monthly and quarterly input and output goals.
- 10+ years of B2B and/or Enterprise sales experience with a focus on hunting new business.
- Experience in identifying, developing, negotiating, and closing opportunities across a wide spectrum of customer engagement levels
- Experience in positioning and selling innovative solutions to new and existing customers and market segments.
- Proven track record of balancing customer engagements between virtual and in-person meetings
- Ability to think and act independently within a fast-paced multi-task driven environment.
- Strong ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) to internal and external senior leadership.
- Ability to travel for internal business presentations and customer meetings.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience required.
It’s Just Getting Started!
This is just a small selection of jobs I believe are crucial in helping Amazon HQ2 plant roots in the Crystal City area. There will be many more jobs to come. Keep your resume up to date and if you are interested in working for Amazon, do your research and find a job that best suits your skill set. Like most companies, Amazon is looking for applicants with a specific skill set to fill a specific position.