Veterans make up a large percentage of active clearance holders. Matching qualified cleared veterans with excellent career opportunities is a critical aspect of what ClearanceJobs does. In honor of Veterans Day, ClearanceJobs is inviting both defense recruiters and cleared candidates to share their veteran hiring success stories.
The U.S. military protects our nation and service members sacrifice a lot to serve our country. Numbers of U.S. military service members vary state to state, driven by personnel levels at large bases in saturated areas. As of 2017, there were a total of 1.3 million active duty military members and more than 800,000 reserve forces, according to the Department of Defense.
One of my favorite things about recruiting for defense contractors was getting the opportunity to hear transitioning military members or their veteran counterpart’s stories – their anxieties about enlisting, moving from location to location, their trials and tribulations on deployment, their successes in getting their dream job, and counseling them through the transition to the civilian sector.
There were stories that pulled at my heart strings, but throughout my time in defense hiring, I was humbled and certainly felt rewarded in helping veterans navigate the career search.
So, for military appreciation month, we want you to share your veteran hiring success stories! Why? Because it’s helpful for defense recruiters to remember the importance of the work they’re doing, and helpful for service members to see how others previously navigated the transition. Sharing veteran success stories gives current active duty hope that the process is not as scary as it sounds.
The first five submissions will receive a $100 Amazon gift card, and all submissions will receive a veteran challenge coin. These coins are awarded to veteran supporters and servicemembers as they demonstrate outstanding completion of their military services or lowering the veteran unemployment rate, passing major milestones in their career, or being recognized by their leadership for distinction in national security.
- Did you hire 20 veterans in one year?
- Are you a candidate who was selected for your dream job where you can use your military skills?
- Are you a part of military friendly programs like Virginia Values Veterans?
- Does your company help veterans and military spouses retain employment through organization specific programs?
We would love to hear your stories.
Here is my story:
- Videos should be between 1-3 minutes long
- Video orientation should be landscape
- Videos should not contain use of profanity
- Videos should NOT have background noise or music overlaid
- All material presented in the videos (including soundtrack) should be original or the authors should have proper permission to use it
- Videos will be accepted in MPEG (.mpg), QuickTime (.mov), AVI (.avi), or MP4 (.mp4) file formats
This is an excellent way to highlight what you contribute to this community and show how your company is committed to giving back.