The Military Officer Association of America (MOAA) is the nation’s largest and most influential association of military officers. It is an independent, nonprofit, politically nonpartisan organization. They are a great partner of ClearanceJobs in acting as a resource for our military community.
MOAA’s Senior Director, Career Transition and Member Services, Col. Brian D. Anderson, USAF (Ret), joins the podcast to chat about the power of networking as you are navigating your military (including spouses) transition.
Tips on getting a response from a recruiter whether you are actively or passively networking:
- Be direct, clear and concise. Note what position you’re interested in, how you meet the requirements, or whether you want your resume to be added to their applicant tracking system for future efforts.
- Be polite. Respond to all inquiries, whether you are interested or not so you can make the connection. Do not laugh at the salary they are offering even if it is below your pay grade.
- Detail expectations and follow up. Share your ETS timelines and preferences, and keep the line of communication moving!
Anderson is responsible for the supervision, training, planning, and oversight of two departments focused on the coordination and delivery of career transition services, operation of MOAA’s Member Service Center, finance and benefits education, veteran services, caregiver support, and family programs. He directs and oversees all aspects of MOAA’s career transition services and customer service policies, objectives, and initiatives. He also conducts career transition and benefits education facilitations in support of MOAA’s advocacy, leadership, education, and service missions.
With more than 360,000 members from every branch of service – including active duty, National Guard, Reserve, retired, former officers, and their families – we are a powerful force speaking for a strong national defense and representing the interests of military officers at every stage of their careers.
MOAA’s highest priority is providing first-class service to our members. We are the leading voice on compensation and benefit matters for all members of the military community. We provide expert advice and guidance to our members.
MOAA puts on wonderful events that service members and their families can take part in. This week, they are offering these events virtually:
- Navigate Life With a BetterUp Coach – MOAA’s Newest Member Benefit!
- Understanding Your VA Benefits
- Protect Yourself From Fraud This Holiday Season
- Get Ready to Land Your Dream Job