The Air Force Global Strike Command announced this week that the M18 handgun has been returned to service following a directed pause that began last month after an airman was killed with his sidearm. A comprehensive inspection was conducted on the United States Air Force’s nearly 8,000 M18 Modular Handgun Systems, which identified discrepancies with 191 weapons across the command’s M18 inventory.

The issues were related to component wear, with the most frequent problems centered on the handgun’s safety lever, striker assembly, and sear. Any of the M18s that were found to exhibit those discrepancies were tagged and are now undergoing repairs.

“It is paramount that our Airmen trust their weapon systems,” explained Gen. Thomas Bussiere, AFGSC commander. “This thorough inspection ensures the M18s in our inventory are in optimal working order, providing our Defenders with safe, reliable, and effective systems to accomplish their mission.”

AFGSC carried out the command-wide inspection of the M18, the compact version of the M17 Modular Handgun System (MHS). Both models are based on the Sig Sauer P320, which was selected in 2017 as the winner of the U.S. Army-managed MHS competition to replace the U.S. military’s existing handgun, across all the branches of the U.S. military within the Department of Defense (DoD). However, the United States Coast Guard, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), adopted the Glock 19 Gen5 MOS, replacing the Sig Sauer P229.

The P320 can be chambered in several calibers, including 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, .45 ACP, and 10mm Auto. It is available with caliber exchange kits. The U.S. military primarily employs M17/M18 pistols chambered in 9x19mm Parabellum (9mm Luger).

Service-Wide Pause

AFGSC issued a service-wide pause on the use of the M18 on July 21, 2025, after an active-duty airman at F.E. Warren Air Force Base (AFB), WY, died after his firearm inadvertently went off, striking him in the chest.

Sig Sauer is currently facing several lawsuits over allegations of unintentional discharge involving the P320.

Although the AFGSC issued a pause on the M18’s use, the other branches of the military continued to keep it in service. The completed review found that no weapon discharges were attributed to a malfunction. However, the command implemented enhanced inspection procedures of the M18 semi-automatic pistol.

“By incorporating these added measures, we assess that any issues found with the safety lever, striker assembly, and sear will be identified during semi-annual and annual inspections,” said Lt. Col. George Hern, AFGSC chief of security forces. “As we execute M18 inspections in the future, we will be taking a particular interest in these components to ensure these methods address the issues we found and make adjustments as needed.”

Back in Service

M18s that have passed inspection began returning to service on Monday.

Beyond the inspection, Security Force squadron commanders, senior enlisted leaders, and combat arms training and maintenance personnel will meet with airmen to discuss the findings from the inspection. In addition, airmen will be shown “enhanced inspection procedures, reinforcing muzzle discipline, reviewing reporting procedures for weapons of concern.” The airmen will also have the opportunity to raise any concerns they may have regarding the M18.

“We applaud the USAF and the Global Strike Command in both their diligence and expediency in their investigation of this tragic incident, and we greatly value this further confirmation of the safety, reliability, and durability of the P320-based M18 pistol,” Sig Sauer said in a statement.

Related News

Peter Suciu is a freelance writer who covers business technology and cyber security. He currently lives in Michigan and can be reached at petersuciu@gmail.com. You can follow him on Twitter: @PeterSuciu.