A Commercial and Government Entity (“CAGE”) Code is a five-character ID number necessary for all companies looking to be awarded contracts by the federal government. The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) issues CAGE Numbers, and it is the only entity authorized to do so. There is no cost to obtain or update a CAGE Code.
1. Obtain a Data Universal Number through the Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS).
The process is fairly straightforward and can be complete online here, or by calling 1-866-594-2464. It takes a minimum of 30 business days for a DUNS Number to be processed and assigned. Applicants can also expedite the process to a mere 24 hours for a fee.
2. Create an individual user account through System for Award Management (SAM) database and log in to register your entity.
All businesses must have an active registration in the SAM database to do business with the Department of Defense. You can register on the SAM website or call 1-866-606-8220. At a minimum, U.S. registrants will need the following:
- DUNS Number, Legal Business Name, and Physical Address matching your DUNS record;
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Taxpayer Name associated with your TIN, found on tax documents from the IRS (such as a 1099 or W-2 form); and
- Bank routing number, your bank account number, and your bank account type (checking or savings), to set up Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
NOTE: If you require a CAGE Code for a Security Clearance you do not need to go through SAM. You can instead complete DOD Form 2051, “Request for Assignment of a Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code.” Section A must be filled out and signed by your sponsoring government agency. The agency may also request the CAGE Code on their agency letterhead.
3. Request a CAGE Code through the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).
You are now ready to complete the online forms on the DLA website. Once it is confirmed your business has no duplicate registrations, the information will be process within 10 business days. You will then be contacted by telephone or email for additional verification or to request additional documentation needed for processing, and a response is required from you within five days. Once this verification process is completed, DLA will submit the processed record to SAM to notify your entity if it is now active and eligible for contracts and/or grants.
The System for Award Management website offers a large variety of informational guides to help users navigate the website. Your Tax Identification Number TIN is either your Employer Identification Number (EIN) assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), or your Social Security Number (SSN) if you are registering as a sole proprietor.